top of page
  • Writer's pictureJan Johnson

What to look for when choosing a Reflexologist

The way forward in choosing a Reflexologist
The way forward in choosing a Reflexologist

Reflexology is an amazing therapy. In the right hands, your health and well-being will gain great benefits from the holistic treatment and care you receive. But how can you be sure your Reflexologist is working clinically, or just giving you a basic foot massage?

When I decided to enter into training, I was surprised at the lack of statutory regulation in qualification standards. I learned that you can get a reflexology ‘diploma’ in as little as one day! There are any amount of online training courses which offer little or no practical learning and no client case-study experience. With these courses you get a fancy certificate, ‘easy payment options’ and the go-ahead to launch yourself on the unwitting public!

Why I am a Level 5 Practitioner and proud

At the other end of the scale are Level 3 and Level 5 qualifications which are regulated by an awarding organisation and, in turn, are Government regulated and recognised by professional associations such as the Association of Reflexologists.

When considering training courses, I took advice from several experienced Reflexologists and opted to study for the ‘Level 5 Diploma in Practitioner Reflexology’ with Allison Walker at ‘Contemporary Reflexology College’. This is the highest qualification available in the UK and is academically equivalent to a Foundation Degree or HND. The training is provided by Centralia and regulated by Agored Cymru (a recognised Welsh awarding body). The qualification is classified under the ‘Nursing and Subjects and Vocations Allied to Medicine’ sector. The 1-year course has a total qualification time of 790 hours including over 100 case-study treatments on volunteer clients. It also includes the in-depth study of Anatomy and Physiology to Level 4. A level 5 practitioner is able to provide a bespoke treatment plan for the client, with an understanding of treatment protocol, set against medical symptoms of pathologies determined from a full initial consultation.

How can I find a qualified Reflexologist?

The Association of Reflexologists (AoR) only allow practitioners with a nationally recognised reflexology qualification onto their register. They also need to be fully insured and committed to the AoR code of ethics and professional development. Reflexologists who are full members of the AoR will have ‘MAR’ after their name. To find a reflexologist in your area, search the AoR Register.

The Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) is the independent UK voluntary regulator for complementary health practitioners. Searching the

for a reflexologist provides assurance that they meet UK-wide standards for client safety and service quality. Registrants will display ‘CNHC Regd.’ on their profile.


Whoever you choose to deliver your reflexology; make sure you choose wisely. There really is more to it than just a relaxing foot rub!

342 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page